Form & meaning
- If we do not begin a question directly, but begin it with something like: Can you tell me…? Do you know…? I wonder if…? The word order is the same as in an affirmative statement.
- Direct question: What is he doing?
Indirect question: Do you know what he is doing?
- Direct question: Where have they been?
Indirect question: I wonder where they have been?
- If the direct question contains the auxiliary DO, we omit it in the indirect question.
- Direct question: What do you want?Indirect question: Can you tell me what you want?
- Direct question: When did she leave?
Indirect question: Do you know when she left?
- In yes/no questions, if or whether is used. The word order is the same as in reported questions.
- Direct question: Have you seen my dog?
Indirect question: Could you tell me if you have seen my dog?
Related grammar points