be used to + noun/gerund
get used to + noun/gerund
- Be used to is used to express that a situation is not new or strange, or is no longer new or strange.
- I’ve lived here for ten years now so I’m used to driving in the city.
- He’s not used to working at night so he sometimes falls asleep.
- Are you used to the climate?
- I wasn’t used to working such long hours when I started my new job.
- Get used to is used to express that an action/situation becomes less strange or new, or becomes more comfortable.
- It took them a long time to get used to their new boss.
- Have you got used to driving on the left yet?
- She is getting used to waking up early for her new job.
Be used to can be modified with adverbs.
- I’m very used to his strange behaviour now.
- She should be pretty used to living without electricity or running water by now.
Did you like this grammar explanation? Get a free trial of our Online Grammar Course for more