Need a grammar refresher? Get the Online Grammar Course for TEFL Teachers.
Form & meaning
Reporting verbs are used to report what someone said more accurately than using say & tell.
- verb + infinitive
agree, decide, offer, promise, refuse, threaten
- They agreed to meet on Friday.
- He refused to take his coat off.
- verb + object + infinitive
advise, encourage, invite, remind, warn
- Tom advised me to go home early.
- She reminded me to telephone my mother.
- verb + gerund
deny, recommend, suggest
- They recommended taking the bus.
- She suggested meeting a little earlier.
- verb + object + preposition
accuse, blame, congratulate
- He accused me of taking the money.
- They congratulated me on passing all my exams.
- verb + preposition + gerund
- They apologised for not coming.
- He insisted on having dinner.
- verb + subject + verb
admit, agree, decide, deny, explain, insist, promise, recommend, suggest
- Sarah decided (that) the house needed cleaning.
- They recommended (that) we take the bus.
Related grammar points