Which TEFL course?

- Which TEFL course?

Getting qualified

A quick search on the internet for “TEFL courses” returns a mind-boggling array of courses of varying content, duration, and quality, and it can be difficult to know where to start. So, do you really need a certificate at all?

It is still possible in some countries to secure a job solely on the strength of being a native English speaker, particularly where supply of teachers has trouble keeping up with demand. However, these days are fading fast, and if you want to keep your employment options as open as possible, then getting qualified is a recommended first step. You will also be much better equipped and feel more confident when you step into the classroom for the first time in your new job.

Which course should I take?

The most widely recognized and accepted entry-level TEFL certificates are the Cambridge CELTA and Trinity Cert TESOL. These are classroom-based courses of around 120 hours*, and involve several hours of observed teaching practice. They are usually studied over a very intensive four week period and involve a lot of work outside the classroom, preparing classes and writing assignments. (Most CELTA and Trinity graduates will attest to sacrificing their social life and being totally consumed by TEFL for the duration.)

* Edit – The CELTA is now also offered online with face to face teaching practice.

Oxford TEFL - Trinity Cert TESOL

The application process for these courses usually involves an application form, a language awareness task and an interview. Although requirements vary for each individual centre, in general you should be at least 18 years old and have sufficient educational qualifications to gain entry to higher education. If you are a non-native speaker of English you should be able to demonstrate a high level of English language skills.

On a CELTA or Trinity course you will learn a good deal about teaching theory and methodology, and have some chance to put it into practice. You will learn some grammar, but don’t expect to be an expert by the end of the course – this mostly comes in your first few years of teaching.

A large number of institutions offer courses of similar duration and content to the CELTA and Trinity Cert TESOL, and many employers worldwide accept these as equivalent qualifications.

International TEFL and TESOL Training - TEFL Course

There are also many good quality shorter classroom-based and online courses available, which may better suit your budget, and can give you greater flexibility. Some online courses include a teaching practice component favoured by many employers, by means of remote video lessons or by including a classroom-based weekend as part of the course.

There are many threads in the Teacher training forum discussing the pros and cons of classroom-based versus online courses.

There are even courses specifically designed as introductory courses, to give you a “taster” of TEFL, to see if it’s for you before you take the plunge into a longer program.

A further option is an MA in TESOL, a route commonly followed in the US. As with most Masters degrees, these take one year or longer and consequently tend to cover theory and methodology in greater detail.

The most important thing to remember is that requirements vary greatly from country to country and from school to school, so it’s always a good idea to research some jobs currently on offer in the countries where you’re thinking of teaching, to be sure that the type of course you choose will be accepted by employers in these countries.

Do I have to study full time?

Most classroom-based TEFL certificate programs are four to six weeks. These are intensive courses requiring a lot of energy and motivation. But many centres recognise that this full-time option does not suit everyone, and offer part-time, distance or online courses which can be taken over several months or longer.

Where can I study?

Courses are offered in many different countries worldwide. Studying in Bangkok or Prague, for example, can give you the advantage of the centre’s connections with local schools when it comes to finding employment, and many course providers offer help with finding a job as part of the deal.

How can I find a course?

Have a look at the TEFL course directory to get started. You’ll find over 1500 courses in over 75 countries worldwide.

Other teachers’ views

Have a look at some of the threads in the Teacher training forum for teachers’ experiences of the different types of course, or check out the results of the survey we conducted.


  • Bouzidi Sofyene

    I am a citizen of Algeria. I have a bachelore’s degree in English Literature which i got from the University of Algiers 2 this year 2012. However, i want to undertake the TEFL courses. But am I eligible to begin this course, knowing that my speaking skill is a bit weak, since at university there was a huge focus on READING and WRITING, and non for LISTENING and SPEAKING. If there are solutions concerning my case, please inform me with.
    The second question is; Are there PREPARATION courses that prepare students for the TEFL course. In other wrods, a programt which enables the student to enhance his level in the Four Skills including Grammar, in order to be able to pursue a TEFL course.


    • Cristina Merino

      Hi Bouzidi,

      What you could do is take 6 months part time course in an english spoken country. This way will ensure to naturally improve your listening and speaking skills while enjoying an experience abroad.
      You can check some CELTA courses via Cambridge. This link will drive you to center school database: http://cambridgeesol-centres.org/centres/teaching/index.do

      Hope this helps.
      All the best,


  • Emad Aysha

    Does TEFL qualify you to teach at the ‘school’ level? And does it qualify you to teach in general, all subjects, or just ‘English language’. I asked the British Council in Egypt about CELTA and they told me it only qualifies you to teach English, to ‘adults’, and won’t necessarily be accepted by British schools in Egypt (IGCSE).

    I’ve been applying for teaching posts in Egypt, I’m a university professor originally, and they tell me over and over again that you need a certificate from the British Council. I can understand that when it comes to teaching English language, but what about Social Studies or History or Economics?!

Learning Teaching

Learning Teaching: A guidebook for English language teachers

A no-nonsense handbook for practising ELT teachers, helping you to succeed from class to class, from week to week and from year to year.
Get it from Amazon UK | US
CCELTTEFL Toulouse - 4 week TEFL courses in FranceBlabmateCIECELTA and Delta - AVO Bell, Sofia, BulgariaLove TEFLTEFL HeavenThe Language House TEFLITTT - TEFL courses worldwideSkyline Global Solutionsi to i TEFL coursesThe English Club, RussiaTeach the WorldITEFLICertificate in TESOL - Global EnglishVia Lingua - TEFL Courses in Mexico, Portugal, Greece, Hungary, Russia, Italy and TurkeyGo TEFLOntesol - Teaching the world to teachOxford TEFL - Teach English worldwideThe Language House - TEFL Courses in PragueUniversity of Toronto TEFL OnlineTEFL Worldwide Prague - TEFL CoursesTEFL Org UKEF English First XianEnglish WorkPGLITI Istanbul - CELTA

Trending pages

© 2014 Eslbase. All rights reserved

Read about how we use cookies

Follow Eslbase on