Integration – through workshops and activities that develop connections with the local community and economy; fostering an avenue for cohesion and unity.
Education – through non-formal English and Greek language classes for teenagers and adults delivered by qualified teachers
Community-Building – through a Scouts program designed to develop teamwork and life-skills in young people in the region
Support – through our non-formal children’s activities for 3-10 year olds.
Second Tree delivers non-formal education (NFE) programs at different sites in the Epirus region and is looking for qualified and/or experienced volunteers to fill the roles. The long-term objective of our NFE program is to develop the English language skills of students through the Cambridge Empower Workbook series, in order to prepare them for languague certification.
Although acquiring certification is the intended long-term objective, we expect our teachers to ensure that the following objectives are realized in the immediate term:
• To support the psycho-social and intellectual development of refugees and asylum seekers
• To empower them with interpersonal – and life – skills
• To enable access to quality learning resources
• To develop their English language skills in preparation for certification
• To strengthen their ability to enter formal education and/or the workplace
• To foster their integration into European society
We are looking for volunteer teachers to deliver English classes to refugees and asylum seekers in Ioannina and the Epirus region. The ideal candidate(s) will have experience teaching English as a foreign/second language and will possess a strong understanding of or passion for the context we work in (refugee crisis). Experience delivering educational activities to vulnerable populations is a strong advantage.
The role will include:
• Delivering daily classes to the population at assigned site
• Preparing class materials
• Ensuring student engagement and progress
• Working closely with the Programme Manager to ensure the programme is being delivered to the expected standards of Second Tree
Salary and benefits
For Long-Term Volunteers: if you are staying with us for at least 2½ months, we offer free accommodation with all the basic amenities (WiFi, heating, laundry, kitchen) covered in a shared team house, and offer and/or cover transportation for work-related activities.
For Short-Term Volunteers: if you are staying with us between 5 and 10 weeks, we might be able to put you in contact with individuals providing cheap accomodation (approx. 5€/day). In case there are empty spaces in the team house, you are welcome to stay there, but priority will be given to long-term volunteers.
• Degree in teaching and/or Certification in English language teaching (TEFL/TESOL/CELTA or equivalent)
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, multi-level classroom
• Ability to work independently and in a team
• Ability to meet deadlines and manage own workload
• Ability to work in a high-intensity environment
• Adaptable, flexible attitude and approach to teaching and classroom management
• Strong communication, inter-personal and writing skills
• Ability to communicate in an open, honest, direct manner
Skills Desired -
• Experience working in the refugee context
• Experience working with vulnerable populations
How to apply
• Cover letter
• Copy of your qualifications
When you email, please also provide the following -
• ESL Teacher Candidate (eslbase.com) in the subject line
• Specify the dates you’ll be able to volunteer
If the application meets all requirements, you’ll hear back from the employer within 48 hours.