This is a serious and structured program with no fees, which enables participants to teach English in Spain and gain international experience.
• Deadline: candidates are encouraged to apply ASAP or at least before March 31st 2019
• Programme length (academic year in Spain): Sept./Oct. 2019 to May/June 2020
“Meddeas has done an incredible job in my placement and in helping me throughout my journey whether it was answering my questions of certain things or helping me figure out my required documents. They have done a great job on following up and I truly felt like they cared about all of us Language Assistants”, Christian T., former participant
Don't miss out on our participants' testimonials on the Meddeas Language Assistants' blog. Join us for news and updates on Facebook and Youtube.
• Monthly pay: €930-1,162 per month (enough to live in Spain as a young professional)
• Lodging options: independent housing or full board accommodation with a volunteer host family
• University course included (compulsory)
• More than 200 private and grant-maintained schools all over Spain
• Advanced program adapted to participants with TEFL/TESOL training
The Role of a Language Assistant
During one academic year, participants will teach 20 to 25 hours a week in one of the 200 schools Meddeas works with. A Language Assistant is a native-level speaker of English, French or German, who supports the school’s language teachers and helps students with conversation practice. The tasks differ from the ones in a teaching assistant role and include encouraging oral practice of the foreign language; explaining the culture of their home country; helping in other subjects such as science, art, P.E.; acting as a role model for correct pronunciation and grammar; and collaborating with teaching staff in creating teaching materials and planning lessons.
After one year teaching English abroad, Language Assistants add transferable skills to their CVs, such as public speaking, language skills, creativity, team working, topic preparation, patience, maturity, autonomy, and cultural awareness.
Salary and benefits
• Guaranteed monthly pay, more than enough to live in Spain as a young professional
• Certified Expert in Bilingual Education course (20 ECTS) given by a Spanish university and paid by the programme.
• Paid school holidays (except for the summer period)
• Spanish public healthcare coverage
• Help opening a bank account
• Program run by a serious and professional organisation
• Ongoing in-country support from the school’s tutor and from Meddeas
• Initial training and teaching workshops
• Certificate of completion at the end of the program
• Children aged two to eighteen. Learners' English levels range from beginner to advanced
• No fees attached
• Recent graduates (last four years) OR last-year university students
• TEFL/TESOL certificate preferred (not indispensable)
• Someone with initiative to find resources and prepare their own engaging and fun activities or games
• Previous teaching experience will be valued
• Someone who enjoys working with children and/or young people
• Energetic and creative
• Competence in the Spanish language is not required
• No criminal record
Desired Skills: intercultural skills, cultural awareness, creativity, language skills, team working, public speaking, patience, maturity, autonomy