Job title Professional & Academic English Skills Instructor
Reports to Director of Academics
Start date 13th July 2020
Carnegie Mellon University Africa (CMU-Africa) located in Kigali, Rwanda offers two master’s programs to students from across Africa and beyond. The Master of Science in Information Technology provides students with critical skills, focusing on practical applications in areas such as cyber security, mobile
applications, wireless networking and strategic business planning. The Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering has a more technically focused curriculum, equipping students with skills in energy systems, mobile computing and telecommunications. Each program is taught by globally renowned faculty to the same rigorous standards as the main CMU campus in Pittsburgh.The professional and academic English skills instructor will work within the English as a Second Language(ESL) team to develop students’ professional and academic communication skills throughout their learning
journey. ESL support is focused on students at intermediate (B1) and upper-intermediate (B2) level but is also available to advanced (C1) and proficiency (C2) level students at their request. The ESL team supports the students’ English communication skills development in a holistic way through the delivery of a portfolioof interventions. These include semesterly courses, targeted workshops, writing labs and one-to-one support. In addition, we work to increase student motivation and autonomy in their professional and
communication skills development by supporting relevant student, staff and faculty initiatives and activities. For example, every year we support our first-year students in preparing for their internship fair through resume and interview skills development interventions. We have also worked alongside students to set up a multimedia student blog and a public speaking club.
Our ideal candidate will be excited about supporting the ESL team in maintaining and developing these initiatives. They will also be innovative in seeking new opportunities to further the mission of our team. In addition, they will be interested in working at a more strategic level to collaborate with other universities in developing knowledge-sharing and teacher training programs. This is a part time position.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Contribute to the development of students’ English skills and linguistic proficiency.
2. Teach and contribute to the content of the orientation (pre-sessional) academic skills program.
3. Develop and deliver advanced level professional writing and technical communication skills
4. Teach and assess academic writing skills courses.
5. Mentor individual students and provide personalized feedback on their oral and written work.
6. Collaborate with faculty to provide communication skills support across key technical courses.
7. Identify, create and leverage further opportunities to develop student professional and academic
communication skills throughout their learning journey.
8. Contribute to the design and implementation of capacity-building programs in collaboration with other local universities.
• Post-graduate degree-holder
• Highly proficient user of English (minimum overall score of 110 in TOEFL or 8 in IELTS)
• Globally recognized qualification in education or English language instruction for non-native speakers
• Minimum 2 years’ post-qualification experience teaching ESL courses to adults using interactive, learner-centered methodology
• Pedagogic approach prioritizes learner autonomy and motivation
• Enjoys and has a creative, fun and energetic approach to teaching and learning
• Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
• Experience of American post-graduate education system
• Experience of teaching and collaborating effectively across different cultures
• Experience teaching English skills proficiency in relevant areas such as: professional English academic English, technical communication, English for engineers and teacher training
• Knowledge or experience of designing and/or implementing an English immersion program
• Experience of using a variety of educational technologies
• Knowledge or experience of evaluating the impact of language development programs
• Enjoys working collaboratively with other teaching staff
How to apply
Your email subject header should read “English Skills Instructor” and be sure to highlight relevant experience and your goal in applying for this position. Application review will begin May 31st, 2020.