We deliver non-formal education (NFE) programs at 3 different sites (2 refugee camps and one community center) and are looking for qualified and/or experienced volunteers to fill the roles.
The ethos of our program is to foster safe spaces for learning that first and foremost serve as a psycho-social intervention – where refugees feel comfortable to come and enjoy being there; and secondly, to provide them with access to a structured, quality language program designed to develop their communication skills; with the longer term goal of preparing them for a language certification at the appropriate level;
Although acquiring certification is the intended long-term objective, we expect teachers to ensure that the following objectives are realised in the immediate term:
• Support the psycho-social and intellectual development of refugees and asylum seekers
• Empower them with interpersonal – and life – skills
• Enable access to quality learning resources
• Develop their English language skills in preparation for certification
• Strengthen their ability to enter formal education and/or the workplace
• Foster their integration into European society
Salary and benefits
For Long-Term Volunteers:
If you are staying for at least 2 months, we offer free accommodation with all the basic amenities (WiFi, heating, laundry, kitchen) covered in a shared team house, and offer and/or cover transportation for work-related activities;
For Short-Term Volunteers:
If you are staying between 3 weeks and 2 months, we might be able to put you in contact with individuals providing cheap accommodation (approx. 5€/day). In case there are empty spaces in the team house, you are welcome to stay there, but priority will be given to long-term volunteers.
Applicants will be accepted on a rolling basis, with first positions needing to be filled by January 15.
The ideal candidate(s) will have experience teaching English as a foreign/second language and will possess a strong understanding of the context we work in (refugee crisis).
Experience delivering educational activities to vulnerable populations is a strong advantage.
• Delivering daily classes to the population at assigned site
• Preparing lesson plans and associated class materials in line with the set syllabus
• Ensuring student engagement and progress
• Managing their classrooms effectively, including all related admin tasks
• Working closely with the Program Manager to ensure the program is being delivered to the expected standards of the organization
• TEFL certificate
• Native English speaker or fluent in English
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, multi-level classroom
• Ability to work independently and in a team
• Ability to meet deadlines and manage own workload
• Ability to work in a high-intensity environment
• Adaptable, flexible attitude and approach to teaching and classroom management
• Strong communication and inter-personal skills
• Strong writing skills
Skills Desired (but not essential):
• Experience working in the refugee context
• Experience working with vulnerable populations
• Fluency in Arabic, Farsi/Dari, Urdu, Kurmanji or Sorani
How to apply
Please put “ESL Teacher Candidate” as the subject line and specify in your email the dates you would be available to volunteer.