Location: Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village, Rwanda
Duration: 12 months: December 2019 - November 2020
The Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village (ASYV) is a residential community for orphaned and vulnerable adolescents in Rwanda and is home to more than 520 youth and about 130 staff. In their four years at ASYV, students aged 14 - 21 gain the tools necessary to live, learn, be healthy and build self-reliant lives so that they can contribute to a better world. Founded in 2007 as a response to the persistent orphan crisis which arose in the aftermath of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda, ASYV has provided more than 1,200 youth with a newfound hope for the future, including over 800 graduates now striving to make a positive difference in Rwanda and abroad.
The Village Fellows program of the Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village places ~6-8 international volunteers (“Fellows”) at our site in Rwanda as staff. Fellows spend 12 months living and working in the Village; they are selected to work in specific professional roles and work together with Rwandan staff to support existing programs. They become an integral part of the staff team that enables the Village to fulfill its goal of providing a nurturing home and exemplary formal and informal education to our kids. In addition to their professional roles, most Fellows join a family and serve as a mentor to 18-24 teenage students who are in their first year of living in the Village. Fellows (in this role called “Cousins") work hand-in-hand with family Mamas and counselors to create a loving and supportive family and home environment for our teens. Fellows play an integral part in ASYV's family model spending evenings with their family at Family Time, joining them for meals, and serving as an important role model in their students’ lives throughout the year. Additionally, Fellows lead and support many of the Enrichment Programs and special events offered in the Village after school and during the evenings.
Salary and benefits
In addition to experience teaching English to English Language Learners, an ideal candidate would have the following qualities:
• 3 – 5 years working experience
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Fluency and proficiency in spoken English
• Ability to balance various jobs and tasks
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision or guidance
• Interest in working for a development project and collaborating with local and international staff
• Ability to adapt to different cultures and work styles
• Strong sense of responsibility and integrity
• Flexibility, patience, resilience, determination, strong leadership
• Ideological affinity with the mission, goals and philosophy of the Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village
* Note: Please include additional qualities that would make you an ideal candidate in your cover letter.
How to apply
Eligible candidates will go through an interview process. As a second step in the process, applicants will be invited to complete an application online. Due to a high volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.