Work experience bursary programme.
We are currently taking applications for our Language Assistant programme 2020 - 2021.
Our language assistant programme is a paid work-experience and training programme aimed at individuals who are looking to take the first steps in a career as an English language teacher.
Successful applicants will be based in a Spanish school and will spend 25 weekly hours working alongside English teachers in order to learn about ESL teaching methodologies, whilst also gaining first-hand teaching experience.
Our language assistants will partake in an official postgraduate course provided by a Spanish university as well as both a Classroom Management and a Methodologies in the Classroom course on the Arriba Languages online learning platform.
A language assistant's role involves spending 25 hours (weekly) working in a Spanish primary, secondary or mixed school. During this time the assistant works with the local English teachers to help improve the speaking and listening skills of the students. Typical activities that the assistant can carry out in the school are:
• Taking out small groups of students to prepare speaking activities/role-plays
• Taking out small groups of students for general conversation/speaking games
• Staying in the classroom to aid the teacher with speaking and listening activities
• Leading groups of up to 15 students in speaking activities
In certain schools assistants will also have the opportunity to work as monitors during extracurricular classes, thus gaining more teaching experience. For these positions applicants with prior experience working with youngsters are preferred.
Our programme lasts from October 2020 until May 2021 (inclusive) with the possibility of working in an EFL summer camp during the months of June and July. Successful applicants will be provided with training from Arriba Languages prior to their arrival as well as a monthly grant of 200€ to aide with the cost of bills, evening meals and other expenses. Accommodation will be provided by Arriba Languages in a shared house or apartment or with a Spanish host family.
Upon completion of the program participants will receive a letter of recommendation from the headteacher of the school they are based in, as well as a certificate of completion from Arriba Languages. Candidates who successfully complete the postgraduate course will also receive an official postgraduate certificate from the University of Valencia. Arriba will also assist successful participants in finding work in summer camps, academies or English schools in Spain should they wish to begin a teaching career here.
Additional benefits include:
• Social security paid by Arriba Languages so as to ensure assistants have access to Spanish medical care
• Assistance in opening a bank account and completing Spanish residency documentation upon arrival
• Possibility of carrying out extra, one-to-one classes on a paid basis
• Lunch provided in the school canteen (Mon - Fri)
Salary and benefits
• Completed university degree
• Flexible & motivated to learn