Home TEFL forum TEFL Training and Courses What qualification do I need????

What qualification do I need????

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply to this topic
  • jessyb
    10 March, 2009 at 12:13
    • Total posts: 5


    I’m really interested in teaching english abroad, but having started some research into it, I’m getting more confused by the minute!!!

    What qualification will give me the best chance of getting a teaching job abroad? I’ve seen TEFL, Trinity and a few other qualifications being talked about on here. I’m looking at Asia, however I don’t have a degree and only have 3 weeks of teaching experience (so far),

    Any advice would be welcome :-)

    10 March, 2009 at 19:38
    • Total posts: 589

    Reply To: What qualification do I need????

    Welcome to the forum and to the world of TEFL…

    The Cambridge CELTA and Trinity Cert TESOL are the two entry level qualifications which will give you the best chance of securing a job. These are the most widely recognised qualifications, and if you look at some job adverts, you’ll see that many have one of these as a requirement. Having one of these will keep your options as open as possible.

    Some will specify something like "CELTA, Trinity or equivalent". The "…or equivalent" bit usually means a classroom based course of 120 hours, and including several hours of observed teaching practice.

    Hope that helps – good luck.


    10 March, 2009 at 21:06
    • Total posts: 1

    Reply To: What qualification do I need????

    I’m in a similar situation trying to decide what type of course I need to do to go teaching in Asia. I’m thinking of South Korea to start though I’m not sure yet.

    I have a degree and will have a MsC by the time I go though neither of these are related to teaching. I live in Ireland and I have found that the government body here for EFL is called the ACELS. The ACELS accredit certain courses though only one of them is a CELTA course and it is very expensive (1500euro!).

    The cheaper (but still ACELS accredited) courses are usually spread out over 3 days a week for four weeks or something similar. What I can’t seem to find out is are these courses enough to fill the ‘or equivalent’ part of ‘CELTA, TESOL or equivalent’ requirement that is so often mentioned?

    Does anyone know if the cheaper courses that are accreditted by the ACELS would be sufficient for getting a decent job in Korea or another Asian country or do I need to fork out for the CELTA course?

    Thanks in advance for any help, it’s all a bit confusing at the moment! =)

    28 March, 2009 at 14:25
    • Total posts: 1

    Reply To: What qualification do I need????


    Like many other people here, I’m also deciding which course to take. I can not take a four week CELTA course as I work full time and can’t get that amount of time off so my next best option is a 100+ weekend/online course with additional teaching practise if possible. I’ve looked at many online sites and noted that most of the courses are structured the same. The next step was to start looking at the acredditors and noticed the main ones are;

    College of Teachers
    ACTDEC (Accreditation Council for Tesol Distance Education Courses)
    ODLQC (Open & Distance Learning Quality Council)
    IATQuO (International Accreditation of TESOL Qualifying Organisations)
    IATEFL (International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language)

    There are plenty of useful information regarding courses and getting started in these forums but I was wondering if anybody has any opinions about these accreditors. The ACTDEC is the one I’m leaning towards at the moment. I have experience of talking in from of groups of people and started to revise my grammer which I believe will help towards gaining confidence. I don’t want to part with my hard earned cash until I’m sure about the course I enroll with.

    Many thanks

    31 March, 2009 at 11:43
    • Total posts: 149

    Reply To: What qualification do I need????

    Hi Kevin, you shoud also read this on Accreditation.

    Short and to the point, it sums us the status quo neatly. Hope you’ll find it useful.

    ICAL Quality Online TEFL Training since 1998

    7 April, 2009 at 15:44
    • Total posts: 17

    Reply To: What qualification do I need????

    My advice after 20 years plus in the business is: invest your money in a recognised course i.e Trinity Cert. or CELTA. As an employer I won’t look at anything else and as a trainer I won’t advise anything else. Courses can be quite expensive but a good one will inspire you and set you up for a great career.
    steveh :)

    Working with language learners and training teachers since 1980. What’s it all about? http://teachinglearning.freeforums.org

    8 April, 2009 at 3:20
    • Total posts: 1

    Reply To: What qualification do I need????

    Steveh, thanks for your comment,it’s short and goes to the point. I’m a graduated teacher from Argentina and I’ve worked as a teacher for 11 years but I’m planning moving to Spain. It seems to be really hard to work as a teacher there if you’re not a native Eng speaker or Spanish. Although I have my degree I think I’ll have to "invest money" in a CELTA course….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Please log in to reply to this topic.