I have several questions about teaching english through songs. I’m in hurry for finding my answer.
1. is this method based on modern methods of teaching or traditional? (which year this method invented?)
2. is just works for teaching children? or adults too? which range of ages are involved in this method?
3. in how many countries, this method is the good one for teching english?
Thank you in advance
1 November, 2008 at 3:32
Total posts: 1
Reply To: Queations: teaching english through songs
About using songs to teach English:
1. Using songs to teach the rhythms of language and certain lessons is as old as language. Many nursery rhymes (at least in English) have been used to teach certain ideas and because of their patterns they are valuable for teaching the sounds and stresses of a language. As an identified ‘method’ though, I couldn’t say if it’s recent or old.
2. Its useful for teaching adults and children. I’ve often used it in my adult English classes and the students generally seem to enjoy it. Not only are they developing listening skills it is good for learning the stress and tones of a language. It can also be much more enjoyable than some other listening activities.
3. As all cultures have and enjoy music this method could be adapted anywhere but you’ll just need to be careful about the content and genre of the songs you use depending on the country as some English songs and music styles wouldn’t be considered appropriate.