Home TEFL forum Teaching in China Shanghai new work permit, the Free Trade Zone, and Job offer related.

Shanghai new work permit, the Free Trade Zone, and Job offer related.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply to this topic
  • ViktorMestrovic
    22 February, 2017 at 16:49
    • Total posts: 1

    I am considering an offer of employment within Shanghai, Pudong district. It’s to my understanding that Shanghai no longer uses the z-visa; rather, there is a new unified foreign work permit as of November, 2016. My potential employer is telling me that I can enter Shanghai on a L-visa and then convert the L-visa to a work permit, because their business is located in the Free Trade Area of Shanghai.

    I know that L-visas cannot be converted to Z-visas, but I am unfamiliar with Free Trade Zone visa laws in Shanghai and the legal process for the new unified work permit. Does anyone here have any knowledge on this topic? The nearby consulate in my country has no detailed information on the new streamlined work permit.

    I want to be sure that my entry to China is in good legal standing and that I take the necessary steps as quickly and accurately as possible. Thank you for your valued assistance with my inquiries!

    23 February, 2017 at 2:37
    • Total posts: 9

    Your employer should guide you through the new process to get a work permit.

    Obviously, you cannot legally work in China until you obtain a work permit. However, because the work permit process can take several weeks to months to obtain, it’s not uncommon for EFL teachers to start working before. It sounds like this is what they are asking of you…

    This site has some information on the new process: http://www.china-briefing.com/news/2016/11/25/obtaining-a-z-visa-work-permit-and-residence-permit-in-china.html

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Please log in to reply to this topic.