non EU teachers in Spain

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Answer this question
  • marlene
    17 July, 2006 at 13:31
    • Total posts: 1

    we are from South Africa and Australia and would like to teach in Spain, but have heard that obtaining visas are tough! We are wondering if there’s any non Eu teachers out there who can tell us if it’s possible for us to stay in Spain for longer than 3 months (the duration of a shengen visa) and whether they hire non EU teachers.
    thank you so much,

    29 July, 2006 at 15:07
    • Total posts: 3

    Reply To: non EU teachers in Spain

    Hi guys

    I worked in Barcelona for three years. While I was there, there were two Canadians and one American at my school. As I remember, they had all come to Barcelona without a contract and had spent a few days walking around the city, going into school after school looking for a job. I remember them saying that finding work from Canada or the US was next to impossible, because all the schools asked for EU citizens only. But when they were in Barcelona it was much easier.

    I don’t know if the school organised their residence permits and that sort of thing, or if they did all that themselves, but anyway it obviously worked for them as they had one year contracts with the school. I guess that it could be a bit risky, but if the shengen visa is three months, that would give you plenty of time to find a job.

    I’d recommend going as soon as possible – schools will be packing up for the summer about now (schools pretty much shut down in August, apart from some intensive groups) and so they’ll be looking for teachers to start in September/October, and in fact many of these positions will already have been filled.

    You should be able to find some fairly cheap accommodation while looking for jobs – you can rent a room in a shared house for about 100 euros a week if I remember. If you go to Barcelona, there’s a free English language magazine called \"Barcelona Connect\" which has adverts for rooms to rent, jobs, things for sale, etc, etc.

    Hope it works out for you – Barcelona’s a great city – I stayed for three years, the longest I’ve ever stayed in a place!!

    10 August, 2007 at 6:35
    • Total posts: 1

    Reply To: non EU teachers in Spain

    It’s possible to stay for 3months so long as you have those legal papers. Usually, the private boarding schools ( hire teachers on english specialization..

    David Cuschieri
    16 August, 2007 at 18:30
    • Total posts: 2

    Reply To: non EU teachers in Spain

    Hi there!

    Please have a look at my article about TEFL jobs in Spain:

    http://reflectionsofaworldcitizen.blogs … spain.html

    Thanks and regards,


    15 September, 2010 at 10:14
    • Total posts: 149

    Reply To: non EU teachers in Spain

    Working anywhere in Europe without a passport from a European member state is always going to be difficult. But not impossible.

    Generally speaking you need to be in the country itself to find work. You need to contact all the schools in the area and approach each one in turn, asking for work. The best time is at the start of the academic year when a school may have been left in the lurch and is desperate for a teacher.

    You may be lucky and pick something up but the chances are that you will be employed cash-in-hand and without any insurance or other safeguards. Or you may get several different jobs to make it full time. Or a few private lessons to help pay the bills.

    Only if you prove to your employer that you are a fine TEFL teacher and worth the effort will they start the process of getting you a work permit and legal status.

    That means you have to be a fine TEFL teacher! Turn up on time, do the work well, be nice to the students, etc and know your business. You’ll also need the qualifications (generally a degree and a TEFL certificate) and look that part.

    As I said at the beginning. It’s difficult but possible as can be seen by quite a few American, Canadian, Australian etc, teachers working in Europe legally after starting out illegally.

    [url=]More info[/url].

    8 January, 2011 at 21:37
    • Total posts: 1

    Reply To: non EU teachers in Spain

    our academias hire americans to teach toefl the exam of american english and to teach even trinity cambridge exams as weve seen that usa teacher education is somewhat better than british teacher ed.As well. many brit teachers here are not trained but simply interested in a few years abroad and teaching english is a way to get a living._We and many other academies prefer masters degreed americans who can really explain the ins and outs of our great language.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Please log in to reply to this question.