Home TEFL forum Teaching in China New 2018 China foreigner teacher requirements to teach ESL & TEFL

New 2018 China foreigner teacher requirements to teach ESL & TEFL

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply to this topic
  • China Scam Patrol
    11 March, 2018 at 14:05
    • Total posts: 26

    SOURCE: https://eslwatch.info/en/eslwatch-forum/china/1131-official-2018-china-foreign-teacher-requirements-to-teach-tefl-esl-in-china/1834.html

    2018 brings ESL & TEFL Teachers even stricter credential requirements from the Chinese government to teach English in China. This is due to a growing number of arrests and “incidents” by fake teachers caught using fake diplomas and/or TEFL certificates. So the Public Security Bureau of China and SAFEA have decided upon adding some more restrictions in their foreign teacher requirements as follows:

    1) Applicants must now be native English speakers holding passports from America, Canada, U.K. Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa.

    2) Applicants must be 22-55 at time of application (you can teach up to age 60 in China)

    3) Applicants must have a verifiable bachelor degree from an accredited university (and yes they do check now)

    4) Applicants must have 2 years of previous teaching experience OR a post-graduate degree

    5) Applicants must submit a certified hard copy original police certificate proving they have no criminal record

    6) You must be disease-free and obtain a health certificate

    7) You must have a legitimate Z visa (work visa) in your passport before working a single day in China

    Do not believe any recruiter BS that the law has been amended or they have an “exemption certificates” or “you do not need a Z visa or any degree for your first 90 day probationary period” or any of these other common lies: https://www.reddit.com/r/ChinaScamCentral/comments/7bk1n4/who_and_what_to_believe_about_tefl_teaching_in/?st=jemvgyqw&sh=b8e001e5

    If you have questions read this forum thoroughly and visit http://reddit.com/r/chinateachers or http://www.chinascambusters.com , or http://chinascamwatch.org .

    If you are a qualified teacher, by all means welcome to China. If you think you can sneak in and work without a degree or Z visa, you had better read this here: http://opnlttr.com/letter/china-foreign-expats-now-earning-3000-week-without-teaching-tefl-nor-esl-and-making-many-new

    For current news about China scams you can check the CFTU or CTA blacklists or visit http://reddit.com/r/chinascamcentral. Remember to read thrice and sign once!

    27 March, 2018 at 9:33
    • Total posts: 1

    Thanks for the post. I’m 55 this year and have begun a two-year contract. Assuming I do get another two-year contract, and perhaps a third, I can stay on until 60? It must mean that…
    But let’s say I change schools. What then? Or what if the worst happens and I have to start the process all over again. Would I then become ineligible to apply?
    Everything else is fine.
    With all of this tightening of rules, I’m amazed that they’re not requiring an MA yet. Maybe that’s next year!

    Laowai Lao Shi
    3 April, 2018 at 12:50
    • Total posts: 26

    If you already have your FEC you are good to teach 5 more years in China – relax. It doesn’t matter if it is at one school or five different ones so long as you work for one at a time. Of course you can work for all of them but if you get caught, you are breaking the law and they will arrest and deport you.

    If you want to TEFL in China here is a very good checklist for both newbies and veterans alike: https://realscam.com/f51/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The ‘Teaching in China’ forum is closed to new topics and replies. Please contact us if you have questions about teaching in China.