Home TEFL forum New to TEFL Living in Hong Kong looking to do a TEFL course

Living in Hong Kong looking to do a TEFL course

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply to this topic
  • KenBool
    22 April, 2009 at 5:08
    • Total posts: 1

    Hi There.

    I’m new here and I’m hoping someone can give me a bit of advice about TEFL courses.

    I moved out to Hong Kong recently after my partner moved out here to work in the Hong Kong Design Industry. I’m looking to get into teaching. I have a friend back home in the UK who taught in Spain and has told me lots about it and feels I would be a good candidate for the course. I’ve looked into courses in Hong Kong, but it would appear that I can’t do a TEFL course anywhere in Hong Kong so I’m now having to look at other options.

    I’ve researched a couple of places that do the course, that would involve more travelling but would be better for me that coming back to the UK to do the course.

    Firstly, I’ve looked at Brisbane where I could do the CELTA full-time in 4 weeks. This would be better for me as I have relatives who live near the centre so accommodation wouldn’t be a problem. Also, it’s only about 8 hours from Hong Kong.

    Secondly, Thailand where I could do the TEFL at the Chiang Mai University http://www.teflcmu.com/courses.php?course=InHouseTEFL is even closer to me (2 hours max) but being there on my own for 4 weeks having never been there before AND trying to do the course might be a bit much for me.

    I really want to do this course and the more I think about it, the more I look forward to it. I’m concerned that when I come out of the other end I will struggle to find a job in HK, but this being the case; I’d go to China and look for a job there.

    I was just wondering if anyone could advise which course would be better for me, personal feelings aside, on a professional level when I’m planning to work in Asia.

    I hope someone can help me.

    Thanks and regards,


    22 April, 2009 at 12:15
    • Total posts: 599

    Reply To: Living in Hong Kong looking to do a TEFL course

    Hi Ken

    Welcome to the forum.

    I would definitely go for the CELTA. This is the most recognised and accepted entry level course in the world (along with another, the Trinity Cert TESOL) and will keep your employment options as open as possible in the short and long term.

    Hope that helps.


    5 May, 2009 at 13:17
    • Total posts: 149

    Reply To: Living in Hong Kong looking to do a TEFL course

    Have you considered training online? This would allow you to study from wherever you are in the world and cut down on your expenses considerably.

    With regards to CELTA this is undoubtedly a popular qualification especially in Europe, but has far less clout in other parts of the world like Asia, for example.

    In most places the basic requirements for entry level teaching positions are a degree plus a TESL/TEFL certificate – not necessarily a CELTA.

    In fact, there are many good schools around the world that will happily accept TESL/TEFL Certificates issued by reputable organizations other than Cambridge, so you can shop around.

    Quality online TESL/TEFL Certificates are also widely accepted. The ICAL TEFL Certificate, for example, is accepted by the Education Bureau in Hong Kong.

    ICAL Quality Online TEFL Training since 1998

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Please log in to reply to this topic.