Japan/ Korea work visa

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply to this topic
  • philtefl
    20 December, 2013 at 0:30
    • Total posts: 2

    I am currently looking into the possibility of teaching in one of these two countries.

    I have a degree, tefl qualifications, tefl experience etc

    However, I do not have a clean criminal record. I have a caution on my record from seven years ago (for criminal damage – spray painting a wall). I am trying to figure out if this would prevent me from working in either Japan or Korea. From what I have read it could prevent me but I am not entirely sure. Could anyone shed any light for me?

    Also, is it usual to apply for a working visa before applying for a job position, or would I need to find a job first to apply for a visa. I would like to apply for a visa first if possible so I know if I would be wasting my time or not in applying for jobs.

    I am a UK citizen by the way.

    Thanks a lot for any help!

    21 December, 2013 at 22:29
    • Total posts: 2

    Reply To: Japan/ Korea work visa

    I have read up a bit more on the matter and from what I have seen as a UK citizen I would only need to send off for a ‘basic disclosure’ for my CRB check which does not include cautions, so I think I should actually be okay?


    22 December, 2013 at 12:20
    • Total posts: 158

    Reply To: Japan/ Korea work visa

    You should be ok. Most countries which ask for a CRC are looking at drug and/or sex crimes.

    ICAL – TEFL Courses & TEFL Resources

    3 January, 2014 at 9:22
    • Total posts: 23

    Reply To: Japan/ Korea work visa

    As far as I know, Japan does not ask for a criminal background check. I’ve worked at several different places, and have never been asked for one. If the specific school wants one, then I’m sure you can explain the situation.

    Regarding the visa in Japan, you need to have a job first. Your employer will issue you a Certificate of Eligibility, which you take to a Japanese Consulate where you live to apply for the visa. You can’t apply for the work visa without this Certificate of Eligibility.

    To apply for the Certificate or Eligibility, you usually need to submit your official education documents (i.e, diploma, TEFL certificate, etc.) to your new employer and then they take everything to the office in Japan. The process takes about 4-6 weeks.

    EFL Sensei – Free EFL/ESL Lessons for Teaching English Overseas http://www.eflsensei.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Please log in to reply to this topic.