Hello, I’m Sungjin Oh from South Korea.
This is my 2nd lesson plan and I have to resubmit it.
Before submitting, I want you to check my plan file.
If you do so, I’d like to really appreciate you….
Language point: Present continuous tense which means an action in progress, at the time of speaking.
Teaching aids: Laptop computer, Prezi(for the Engage phase), Handout(Worksheet) 1&2(One is for the Study phase and the other is for the Activate phase), Beam projector, Blackboard, Chalk
Learner objectives: – Students will be able to learn the present continuous tense.
– Students will be able to distinguish the difference between ‘Present simple tense’ and ‘Present continuous tense.’
– Students will be able to use the tense that they will learn in their everyday life when talking to someone
Personal aims: – Help the students build up their English grammar skills and understand the usage of this tense.
– Give a lot of talking and participating time to the students.
– MUST encourage students to obtain and advance this tense.
– Make an active and interesting atmosphere in order that students can correctly study the contents that they will learn during the class.
Anticipated problems for students: – Have a difficulty in using and advancing the tense.
– Maybe get a confusion in distinguishing the difference between ‘Present simple’ and ‘Present continuous.’
– During the class, some weaker students will have a difficulty in the Study phase, because this phase focuses on accuracy, not fluency.
Solution: – Continuous practicing(drilling) and let students speak with their partners through lots of activities in class(mainly in Activate phase)
– Let students participate the class actively so as to reduce their lack of confidence.
– Make a group(divide students into groups of 4, placing the stronger and weaker together)
Anticipated problems for teacher: – Students’ less participation
– Some situations that cannot be controlled by teacher may occur.
– It will be happened that teacher spend MORE than 60 mins.
Solution: – Make sure that students get to keep focusing during the whole class.
– Try not to spend MORE than one hour, and demonstrate whether it is over time or not, before the class.
ENGAGE 1 / 3 Mins / T-S
– Check students’ attendance
– Ask students whether they enjoyed their lunch
– Seating arrangement in groups, dividing students into groups of 4)
ENGAGE 2 / 3 Mins / T-S
– Review what we learned in the previous class.
– Give some questions to students, putting the screen on the prezi. ex) Do you like sports? Do you like playing STH?
– Preview what we will learn in this class.
STUDY 1 / 10 Mins / T-S
– Explain the Present continuous tense(affirmative) and make students know it.
– Let students know how and when to use this tense in real.
– Give some questions to a student in each group, respectively
ex) Where are you studying? What are you doing?
What is your friend doing? / etc.
STUDY 2 / 10 mins / T-S
– Teach negative and question form students.
– Compared to the Present simple tense, let students apply the Present continuous tense.
– Then, show students lots of examples and let them repeat what the teacher says.
ex) I ride a bicycle. – I am riding a bicycle.
He eats some snacks. – He is eating some snacks
I study English. – I am studying English / etc
STUDY 3 / 10 Mins / S-S
– Give out handout(worksheet) 1 and tell students to fill out the blanks with their partners.
ex) There is a picture in each question, and below it, there is a sentence. I — (put) the key on the desk.
– Encourage students to do this gap-fill activity with their group members.
– While they doing the activity, teacher should monitor students’ activities, check the mistakes, and correct them if it is possible
STUDY 4 / 3 Mins / S-S
– Let students check the answer with other group members.
STUDY 5 / 3 Mins / T-S
– Give feedback about worksheet 1
ACTIVATE 1 / 10 Mins / T-S
– Give out handout(worksheet) 2 and explain how to do it.
– Tell students to make some sentences(at least 3, group members, respectively) and make some stories using both Present simple and Present continuous
ACTIVATE 2 / 5 Mins / S-S
– Choose a student in each group, respectively.
– A student called out by the teacher has to come and stand in front of the classroom, and present what his/her group members wrote
ACTIVATE 3 / 3 Mins / T-S
– Ask students whether they have some questions about the thing that they learned during the class.
– Review what we learned.
– Finish the class.