Home TEFL forum TEFL Training and Courses Hong Kong-what teaching qualifications are required?

Hong Kong-what teaching qualifications are required?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply to this topic
  • sweet_likechoc
    10 March, 2008 at 13:08
    • Total posts: 1

    I am looking for a TEFL course in Hong Kong so that I can look for job teaching English while I am there.
    Where can I take such a course there that will preferably provide accommodation too and flights if possible?

    What are the requirements from HK employers there in terms of the TEFL course undertaken? Do they require a CELTA/Trinity course or can it be a different one, as long as the course is a minimum of 100 hours? Do they require teaching practice?

    Or should I just enquire with the school directly that I am interested in working for, to find out what teaching qualification is required to be successful for employment?

    17 March, 2008 at 15:30
    • Total posts: 149

    Reply To: Hong Kong-what teaching qualifications are required?

    Usually employers don’t tend to specify which type of TESL Cert you need to have as long as you have one.

    The qualification you really need is a degree as this will allow you to apply for a work visa. Without a visa you could not only end up working illegally but also getting paid relatively little.

    CELTA is certainly accepted but so are other quality TESL/TEFL courses, like ours, for example, which is recognized by the Education and Manpower Bureau in Hong Kong.

    If you want to be 100% sure which certificate you should have then enquiring with potential employers is a good idea. You’ll know straight from the horse’s mouth, as it were. There again bear in mind that when it comes to TESL certification, requirements vary not only from country to country but also from school to school.

    ICAL Quality Online TEFL Training since 1998

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Please log in to reply to this topic.