DECADES IN 2000

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply to this topic
  • joesanchez
    Participant
    3 June, 2009 at 14:14
    • Total posts: 4

Can you please tell me if there is any set expression to refer to the first decade in the current century? (I am one of those who grew up -and learned English- in the eighties)

ssrr2001
    Participant
    11 June, 2009 at 21:22
    • Total posts: 6

Reply To: DECADES IN 2000

I’m sorry , I can’t get your point
    May u repeat in other words?

joesanchez
    Participant
    12 June, 2009 at 8:59
    • Total posts: 4

What I mean is that you can refer to all decades in the 20th century with expressions such as: the rolling twenties, the flower power in the sixties or the Cold War in the fifties. So is there any similar expresion to talk about the first decade in the 21st century?
    I hope I have made my point clear now.

ssrr2001
    Participant
    16 June, 2009 at 8:23
    • Total posts: 6

you may benefit from the following:
    excuse my misconception.

• In keeping with naming decades (cf. 1990s "the Nineties", 1980s "the Eighties", etc.), the decade of the 2000s lacks an accepted name, so far; it is named "the Noughties" by some (referring to the nought, or zero, as the decade indicator, but the word-play on "naughty" is intentional). In keeping with the practice of the nineteenth century, it could also be called "the Aughts" or "Oughts"; it could also be referred to using the term ‘nil’ as the "nillies" or the "0-0s". A widely accepted term most likely won’t come about until the decade has ended.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)