Teach English in Uruguay


Teach English in Uruguay – the following answers are from English teachers who have taught, or currently teach English in Uruguay.

Do I need a degree to teach English in Uruguay?

A degree is not required to teach in most private language schools. In the state education system a degree is required.”

Do I need a TEFL qualification and/or experience?

Requirements vary in private language schools. Many will require a minimum of one year’s experience. Qualified English teachers will find work more easily.

Where are the jobs and what’s the best way to find work?

Most work in private language schools is in Montevideo. Contact schools directly with your CV or go door to door.

When is the best time of year to look for work?

For private institutions, the best time is between November and February. For state institutions, the best time is as from April. Courses start in March, and there are usually vacancies.

What kind of salary and working conditions can I expect?

600-800 USD a month for a 20 hour week. 20-25 hours a week at private language schools is common.

Are there opportunities for private teaching?

Yes, by advertising locally.

What about the cost of living?

a cup of coffee 2 USD
a beer 2-3 USD
a cinema ticket 5-7 USD
a meal in an average restaurant 25-30 USD
a month’s rent 400 USD for a one-bedroom apartment in the centre of Montevideo
1 litre of milk 1 USD
a return bus ticket from Montevideo to Punta del Este 15 USD

100% of respondents in our survey thought that the cost of living in Uruguay is high or quite high compared to salary.

The following are more general comments from English teachers who have taught, or currently teach English in Uruguay.

It is better to teach in Uruguay sponsored by a special company or organization, or in intercultural exchanges. It’s very common to stay in a family house and teach for 6 months (maximum). A great percentage of Uruguayans know basic English. Private institutes are more likely to need a native English teacher.

Monica Fernandez, 4 April 2009


To be able to actually work officially in Uruguay, you need lots of paperwork done before you get there. For example: you need your birth certificate and marriage license/divorce record (if you were ever married) translated and verified by the Uruguayan consulate nearest you. Also health records, police records, etc. As Monica said, it’s easier if you are sponsored, but still lots of paperwork needed before (and after) you get there.

Jerry, 2 December 2011


Teacher training courses in Uruguay
Teaching jobs in Uruguay
English language schools in Uruguay
Ask a question about Uruguay in the forum

Add your comment or experience of Uruguay

Your email address will not be published.