American Village Camps seek energetic, creative, initiative-takers who are native English speakers & love working with children. We use positivity and fun to get kids to love English.
Counsellors live on camp - housing, meals and a salary are provided for every employee. There are 8 camp locations in France during the spring.
Counsellors create and lead activities, as well as English classes. They are also responsible for the safety and well-being of the campers under their care. They also are ONLY allowed to speak English to the campers. No French required for this job!
American Village camps are for French children between the ages of 7 & 17 years old. We’ve been running English immersion camps in France for over 20 years!
Salary and benefits
- A salary for all days worked : 1170 Euros / month
- Shared dorm-style housing with other counsellors, bedding included
- Meals included
- Free laundry services are available at least once a week
- No fees associated with the obtainment of your temporary work permit (North Americans)
- Absolutely no application fee to apply to this job
- All counsellors may request a 50€ defrayal of train travel to their village
- Accident insurance while working for work-related injuries
- Nacel will pay any work-related transportation costs if the counsellor has to change work locations
Working at American Village Camps is a good first ESL job.
It gives you experience:
- Making lesson plans (2 hrs of ESL class, daily)
- Using ESL games
- Working with beginners
- Practicing TPR
- Perfecting your communication skills
- Meeting other ESL teachers
- Getting international work experience
All the while having fun with games and activities in English.
For more seasoned ESL teachers, it is a good fit if you are ready to get out of the classroom and onto the playing field! This is a language camp counsellor job, there are no ESL office hours, if the kids have questions, they will ask you while playing with you in activities.
- required experience : camp counselling, childcare, &/or teaching experience
- clear criminal history
- 20 years old is the minimum age requirement for foreign counsellors. A typical applicant is between 20 and 35 years old.
- high school diploma from a high school in an Anglophone country & correct grammar and spelling on application.
- be a team player, be organized, and be able to disconnect from technology during working hours (no smartphones while with the kids)
- be capable of organizing activities : sports, arts & crafts, dance, large scale games, etc.
- be excited about performing in skits, telling stories, leading songs & cheers, etc.
- know enough about USA History and Culture to brainstorm theme activities and skits
- be receptive to learning about our approach to teaching English, and implementing it in the classroom!
How to apply
Apply online, via the American Village recruitment website
You can also email us or call us with any questions :