TEFL forum

-    -   Moderators eslbase, dan, keith

RE: EF School in Yuyao, China (6 posts)

Information - Reviews of schools:
Please bear in mind when reading this post that these are the views and opinions of individual teachers, which may or may not represent more widespread opinion, and may or may not reflect the current situation at the school. Please see here for more information about this type of post.

New topic  Post a reply

robles00
Posted on 23 Sep 2007 7:41   #
Total posts: 1
MOD edit - Post removed - forum rules not respected.

donmarc00
Posted on 1 Jan 2008 10:56   #
MOD edit - Post removed - forum rules not respected.

jazzpianoman01
Posted on 6 Jun 2008 0:41   #
** MOD edit ** Please note this post makes reference to a previous post which was deleted by the poster.

Hello there Isabelle,

I was reading yout article about your bad treatment in China and found it quite distressing. I'm due to go off to China soon to teach at a University but believe me, this type of thing puts me off as anyone can find themselves in a similar situation. I think these people at the school were basically scumbags and I would have told them so. Are you still there in China?I did a course with EF but pulled out as I didn't think much of their approach: expecting too much in too little time which obviously reflects in their jobs. I hope your situation improves and I hope you get back to Paris safely,

Mark Doherty

ianthenorton
Posted on 8 Aug 2009 12:09   #
Send email
I retract my original posting on this topic.
I DO NOT recommend this school as a destination for anyone wishing to teach in China.
Please pm me should you have questions or want further information.
Last edited by ianthenorton on 15 Sep 2010 2:48, edited 3 times in total.

slodown
Posted on 15 Sep 2009 18:15   #
Send email
As Director of Studies of EF Yuyao from April 2005-June 2007, I was very surprised to read the complaints made against the school in the afore message. Consequently, I would like to make the following comments based on my own experiences at the school.

Firstly, during my time as DOS, I worked very closely with the managers and know that they always followed EF policies with regards to contracts, flight/visa reimbursements, job descriptions, codes of conduct and disciplinary procedures. In fact, copies of these documents were always given to new teachers to read and sign.

Secondly, if I remember rightly, in accordance with EF policy disciplinary procedures are enforced if a teacher breaches the code of conduct, this includes lateness for class. A verbal or written warning is given depending on the severity of the breach.

Thirdly, I consider it extremely unlikely that the managers were deliberately hiring and firing teachers to avoid reimbursing visa and flight expenses. Having recruited for EF Yuyao, I know for a fact that finding suitable teachers is not always easy especially during the school’s busiest time, the summer. Therefore, losing teachers before the end of his or her contract would cause a lot of inconvenience and is hence best avoided.

Fourthly, I imagine that the Academic Operations Manager’s visit to the school would have been a purely routine one. AOM’s are required to visit all EF centres once a year if possible and during their visit, classroom observations are conducted.

Finally, I would like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 years at EF Yuyao, and I was certainly not the only foreign teacher to stay for more than 1 year. The managers were always kind, helpful, considerate and reasonable if problems arose. We were well-looked after and given plenty of pastoral care, something which is lacking in many language schools all over the world. The school was also very well-resourced as the managers encouraged professional development and believed in high quality teaching.

I would recommend EF Yuyao to anyone interested in teaching in China, and in developing as a teacher.

Stephanie Lo, ex Director of Studies, EF English First Yuyao.

around_the_world
Posted on 23 Nov 2011 5:01   #
Total posts: 3
Send email
just finished a contract here.

i was well looked after both in a professional sense and in terms of support with everyday life in china

please feel free to message me for any specific info