TEFL forum

-    -   Moderators eslbase, dan, keith

Oxford TEFL vs TEFL Worldwide (10 posts)

New topic  Post a reply

nmspada
Posted on 22 Apr 2013 19:28
Total posts: 3
I am interested in receiving my certificate in Prague, and currently debating between Oxford/Trinity or TEFL Worldwide Prague. Does anyone have experience with either program and whether it is worth the money? The comparison in cost between the two is not much of a difference, but as it is expensive I would be willing to go for a cheaper option if it still meant validity of the certificate is authentic. I am aware that Oxford is the most reputable option, but was curious if anyone had feedback on TEFL worldwide, on the course itself and the career assistance after completion? I had read various reviews on TEFL Worldwide before coming across this forum, some which were extremely negative, so I was hoping I could get more references for someone who has taken that course in the past.

Thanks!

stevieh74
Posted on 23 Apr 2013 18:08
Total posts: 1
Hi,

I did the Oxford TEFL certificate in Barcelona in Jan/Feb 2011 and also considered Prague as an option. I have to say the Oxford TEFL course was excellent and well worth the money. I have had a lot of correspondence with the careers officer at Oxford TEFL Prague previously and she will do everything she can to help you look for work in Prague after the course. Alternatively she will put you in contact with other people elsewhere in the world to help you find employment. I cannot comment first hand on TEFL Worldwide, but if you have doubts I would avoid it. Reputation is everything in this TEFL game. Good Luck :D

Hannahkollef
Posted on 1 May 2013 12:57
I took the January 2013 course in Prague, and it was fantastic. It was very intense, but also tons of fun!

I got a lot of practice time with actual students, which was great because I’d never taught before. I also felt like the teachers were EXTREMELY knowledgable not just about practical teaching but about educational theories, etc. OxfordTEFL has a communicative focus, which is exactly what the schools I’ve interviewed with here in Prague are looking for. They also have great job support, especially as you look for work after the course. Sinead’s help has been invaluable. I didn't send out a single resume myself after the course was done. Instead, Sinead sent my resume to tons of places, and I now work for three different English schools.

The location is also fantastic. As are their supporting materials- OHP, computers and dictaphones, ample printer/copier access, digital projectors, etc.

They also offer intensive post-course classes in Business English, Teaching Young Learners, and Technology in the Classroom. These courses also look great on a resume and are very helpful!

If you're looking to get your visa or Zivnostensky list, they also work with a woman named Sarah who is incredibly helpful, and far less expensive than any of the other visa places around here. I got my Zivno and Visa within a month after graduating thanks to Sarah.

Overall, I’d definitely recommend OxfordTEFL in Prague for anyone who wants to teach English as a foreign language.

markbain
Posted on 3 May 2013 9:14
Total posts: 2
It's also worth noting that the Oxford TEFL CertTESOL course is accredited by the internationally respected Trinity College London, whereas the TEFL Worldwide course is moderated by IATQuO, which is much less well known and respected, meaning your certificate won't necessarily help you get a job (no matter how good the course itself might be). But don't just take my word for it: many, many TEFL job ads ask for the Trinity Cert (or Cambridge CELTA), but in 10 years of working in TEFL I have yet to see an ad asking for an IATQuO qualification!

phil
Posted on 3 May 2013 13:06
Total posts: 52
...in 10 years of working in TEFL I have yet to see an ad asking for an IATQuO qualification!

Of course not - employers can't be expected to list every single qualification that they might accept - the ads would be tediously long. Just because they don't specifically ask for it, it doesn't mean that they don't accept it...

markbain
Posted on 3 May 2013 13:33
Total posts: 2
Sorry, I meant to say "IATQuO-accredited qualifications" - IATQuO themselves do not hand out qualifications, they just moderate the courses.
While you're right that job ads tend to be short and to the point, the fact that many employers do go out of their way to request Trinity or Cambridge qualifications does indicate that courses moderated by these two organisations are valued above all others. Not saying that IATQuO won't be accepted, but as far as I know, employers much prefer Trinity/Cambridge.

nmspada
Posted on 6 May 2013 6:26
Thanks for replies, very helpful! I think I am going to stick with the Oxford course!

john Rockie
Posted on 17 May 2013 11:52
They also offer intensive post-course classes in Business English, Teaching Young Learners, and Technology in the Classroom. These courses also look great on a resume and are very helpful!

melmara22
Posted on 20 May 2013 14:45
Hey, I'm also interested in doing Oxford Tefl Prague and have been researching other courses and looking at reviews. I came across Tefl Worldwide and there are heaps of positive reviews for that school, and I found loads of negative ones for the Tefl International one. I don't think they are the same programme? I'm not sure tbh. You're right that there is not much difference in money and receiving a certificate accredited by Trinity will be more beneficial. So I'm thinking of applying to Oxford Tefl anyway. Have you applied yet, and when are you looking at doing it?

nmspada
Posted on 22 May 2013 22:59
Yes, Im planning to take the course in September. What about you? Feel free to message me with any questions!